Here are a selection of the many interviews done on the power and value of public media in the lives of Americans, cultural affairs and the importance of local community radio.
- This Week in Radio Tech intervieew on community radio (2020)
- "At 40, WMNF still stickin' it to the man. But does it need to change?" (Tampa Bay Times, 2019)
- “The Future of Community Radio” panel (2018)
- How College and Community Radio are Responding to COVID-19 (2020)
- Radio Phoenix interview (2019)
- WGXC Morning Show (2018)
- WBAI Crisis, Relevance and Community Radio (WORT, 2019)
- KCSB interview on the power of community media (2017)
- On NFCB rural initiative (Spark News, 2018)
- How Community Media Can Encourage Minority Communities To Engage (Forbes, 2017)
- BirdNote and the Value of Environmental Journalism (KWMR, 2019)
- Community Radio: A local voice worth your support (Zipsprout, 2018)
In addition to making the case for community media, I've spoken on journalism's core mission, including a 2010 interview on challenging anti-Semitism with contextual coverage.
I do a variety of public speaking and training on various media subjects, including digital strategy, audio production, radio content and more. Among the events I have spoken at include:
- Public Radio Content Conference
- Native Broadcast Summit (2019 | 2018)
- WordCamp 2017
- Community Media Conference
- Alliance for Community Media Conference
- Podcast Movement
- Allied Media Conference
- Grassroots Radio Conference
- "Better News Gathering and Media Diversity" (Houston Oasis, 2014)
You are encouraged to follow me on Twitter for updates on upcoming engagements near you.
My writings on media, culture and politics have appeared in a number of books and publications.
A few essays and reports I have written include:
- Small Town Community Radio Takes On the Housing Crisis (The Progressive, 2018)
- At a time when local information is needed, FCC vote endangers public-access stations (Current, 2019)
- Corporate radio's classic hip-hop oldies stations could destroy the genre's history (Guardian, 2015)
- “I’m a testament to public media’s transformative power” (Current, 2017)
- Community radio: grappling with the new digital ecosystem (Radio Survivor, 2014)
- Public Enemy’s It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back changed the shape of hip-hop (Treble, 2018)
- Related: Believe The Hype: Groundbreaking Public Enemy Album Celebrates 30 Years (Wisconsin Public Radio, 2018)
- What Fathers Should Tell Their Sons (Feminist Current, 2015)
- Join the celebration of National Radio Day (Current, 2016)
- How To Get Your Band Played On The Radio – Everything You Need To Know! (Metal Injection, 2017)
- Interview: Men, Feminism and the Cult of Hugo Schwyzer (2012)
- Ronda Rousey makes $3m a year but most UFC fighters don't get what they deserve (Guardian, 2015)
- Related: Interview with Eddie Goldman on the Guardian piece and MMA's labor inequity (2015)
The topics I have covered in books include:
- Economic crises’ impact on communities of color (The End of the World as We Know It? Crisis, Resistance, and the Age of Austerity)
- Incarceration rates and legacy effects on diverse communities (The End of Prisons: Reflections from the Decarceration Movement)
- Latin American populist movements and their global influence (The Accumulation of Freedom: Writings on Anarchist Economics)
In addition, a 2004 radio interview I did with controversial political theorist J. Sakai was transcribed and appeared in the updated release of the book Settlers: The Mythology of the White Proletariat from Mayflower to Modern.
Longform writings on community media are coming soon.
As a program director and news producer, I have an extensive list of audio work to my credit. I've conducted many interviews on subjects of interest. A few include:
- Lisa Loving interview: community media journalism and its impact (2019)
- Lucie Smoker interview: writing and finding one's voice (2016)
- Samantha Berg interview: a primer on radical feminism (2014)
- Hilary Klein interview: women's organizing in Chiapas, Mexico (2015)
- Pastor Evan McClanahan interview: intersections in faith and politics (2016)
- Meghan Murphy Interview: online feminism, the women’s movement today and the backlash (2013)
- John Hart interview: Cinco de Mayo's political history (2007)
In addition, I produced national live radio coverage of events such as the Left Forum and National Conference for Media Reform. You are encouraged to follow me on Soundcloud and Twitter for the latest news on my audio forays.